I hope you’re doing fine and you enjoyed the Christmas holidays extensively. Did Santa Claus a good job? We did spend a few days with family and friends and now really looking forward to 2019. Last year we just overslept New Year’s Eve – thanks to the baby boy. But this year we would like to stay awake at least until midnight and eat something delicious in the evening. And because we just recently had a feast for three days straight, we’ll have a light menu on New Year’s Eve. Raclette, for example. Because if you drop the cheese and the meat, it almost falls under light food.
Anyway. I wanted to quickly show you what I planned as midnight special: Thai curry soup with sweet potatoes and carrots. Spicy, warm and easy to prepare, you can still enjoy it hot on the terrace while watching the fireworks.
Not sure if you noticed already: we really love to eat Asian, especially Thai food. In general, we like to eat spicy dishes, so Thai curry paste is a fix part of our pantry. Probably because of my Hungarian genes. If you don’t like spicy food – or simply just don’t tolerate – don’t worry! Just make sure you read carefully when shopping and go for mild curry paste. In any larger supermarket or Asia shop you can easily get several different varieties from which you can choose.
Of course, our Thai curry soup with sweet potatoes works not only with these. Depending on your preferences, you can only use carrots, but also with pumpkin it tastes great. Topped with a few drops of coconut milk and pomegranate seeds, it is not only tasteful, but also an eye-catcher!
Try it and tell me if you enjoyed it. I would really love to hear, I am always looking forward to your comments and reviews! See you again in 2019 – I wish you a very Happy New Year. Have a wonderful time with your loves ones!
Thai Curry Soup with Sweet Potatoes and Carrots
Zutaten / Ingredients
- 1 small onion peeled and chopped
- 2 tbsp peanut oil
- 250 g carrots
- 350 g sweet potatoes
- 1 tsp thai curry paste
- 500 ml vegetable broth
- 250 ml coconut milk
- 2 garlic cloves
- salt, pepper
Anleitung / Instructions
- Peel the onion and garlic cloves and chop them finely. Peel the sweet potatoes and carrots and cut them into pieces of 2 cm size.
- In a medium saucepan, heat the oil and fry the chopped onions until they become transparent.
- Add the sweet potatoes, carrots and the curry paste, fry briefly. Add the vegetable broth and let it simmer over low-medium heat until the vegetables are soft.
- Once the vegetables are ready, add the coconut milk and reduce the heat immediatly. Press the garlic cloves, add them to the soup and let it brew for a few minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper and serve.