I don’t know about you guys, but I slowly really do have enough of the winter. I yearn for spring, sun, warmth, grilling on the terrace, nice evenings with an aperol. Well, we cannot have all this yet, but at least we can slowly say goodbye to the heavy winter dishes. So recently I had a great urge to serve a special salad for dinner: steak salad with chimichurri and avocado.
Preparation of this meal is as simple as fast. Perfectly fried organic beef steaks are served on fresh, crisp lettuce leaves and poured with spicy chimichurri. Chimichurri is a traditional Argentine, spicy sauce. It goes perfectly with grilled meat, fish and vegetables. It’s done in no time, I’ve already written down the recipe here.
How to grill the perfect steak
Our grill is still in the basement and is waiting for its first use this year. Nevertheless, you can also prepare first-class steaks in the pan. You don’t even need a special grill pan – just pick one with non-stick coating.
I must admit, a few years ago I didn´t have the knowledge of how to get the perfect, medium fried steak. Like, at all. Only after extensive research in various cookbooks and videos I learned what is important, so that the meat does not dry out and I get my steaks exactly the way I want them to be.
- Quality: As everywhere, the most important thing is – quality upon quantity. Make sure that you buy high-quality meat from local organic suppliers. It is much better to enjoy meat on special occasions rather than to buy third-class products. Pay attention to the color, smell and a delicate marbling – all this guarantees juicy, delicious steaks!
- Temperature: When you prepare the steaks, make sure to take them out of the refrigerator in time to reach room temperature. You definitely don´t want to put them into the pan when they are still freezing cold.
- Marinate: If you have enough time for your preparations, you can put your steaks in oil for a few hours. I prefer to put them overnight in garlic chili oil and add a few twigs of rosemary or thyme to it.
- Preparation: Before frying, remove the meat from the oil and dry it with a kitchen towel. Preheat the pan well and put the steak in. The cooking time depends on your personal preference: for a medium fried, approx. 2 cm thick steak you need about 3 minutes of frying time per side. IMPORTANT: Turn the meat after every minute! By doing this, you make sure that all the delicious juices do not escape on one side and thereby the steak dries out.
- Resting time: In order for the juice to spread evenly, it is important to give the steak a few minutes to rest. Just put them on a plate in the preheated oven (approx. 80° C).
Steak Salad with Chimichurri and Avocado
Zutaten / Ingredients
- 2 pieces of high-quality organic beef steaks rib eye, t-bone or porterhouse
- 2 handful of mixed leaf salads
- 4 tbsp chimichurri
- 2 avocados
- 2 tbsp lime or lemon juice
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- salt, pepper
Anleitung / Instructions
- Wash the steaks, dry them well and, if possible, marinate in oil for a few hours or overnight. Remove from the refrigerator at least an hour before preparation to bring the meat to room temperature. Add freshly grounded salt and pepper.
- Wash and spin the salad; serve on large plates and drizzle with a little olive oil.
- Peel the avocados, remove the core and cut into narrow strips. Drizzle with lime or lemon juice so that they don´t get brown.
- Preheat a frying pan to high temperature. Once it is really hot, put the steaks in without any further adding of fat or oil. Depending on the thickness (as explained above) fry approx. 3 minutes per side, turning after every minute!
- Once the meat is ready, remove from the pan. Leave to rest in a preheated oven at 80° C for a few minutes.
- Cut the steaks into narrow strips and serve together with the avocado on the salad.
- Generously drizzle with the chimichurri and serve immediately.