Oh, figs. An indispensable part of the autumn kitchen, as well as pumpkins or plums. Now is the time to buy beautiful, fresh figs in your local supermarkets. And those of you, who are so lucky to own a fig tree, can get them for free and upon request in their garden. When we were in France this summer, our super nice landlord surprised us with freshly picked figs — I have never eaten such a delicious fruit before!
Figs are not only incredibly tasty, but also healthy as they contain a lot of vitamins and minerals. Vitamin A for skin and vision acuity, vitamin B for the metabolism and the nerves, in addition to magnesium, potassium and folic acid. With their low acidity and high concentration of fiber, they are also a great help for your digestion. When shopping, just make sure that the fruits are undamaged and soft, but not squished.
In this quick and easy dessert, the red wine gives the figs an extraordinary touch. I also added some plums here, as I still had some at home. However, the recipe also does well without. It is easy to prepare and tastes (and smells) like mulled wine – simply wonderful and very festive. It definitely comes onto my list for potential Christmas desserts. If you want to raise the health factor a little, just leave out the sugar. For all of my recipes, I usually use brown sugar instead of white sugar anyway. In this recipe, you also can use honey in the red wine sauce as well as in the mascarpone cream — it will taste just as delicious, I promise!
Red wine roasted figs with plums and mascarpone cream
Zutaten / Ingredients
- 8 ripe figs
- 4-5 plums
- 3 tbsp brown sugar (demarara)
- 1 vanilla pod
- 2 whole cloves
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 500 ml red wine
- 200 g mascarpone
- 3 tbsp confectioner's sugar
- 1 tbsp lime juice
Anleitung / Instructions
- Preheat the oven to 200° C upper and lower heat.
- Cut the vanilla pod lengthwise and scrape out the inside. Pour the red wine, sugar, vanilla seeds, the remaining vanilla pod and spices into a small frying pan and bring softly to boil over medium heat.
- Wash the figs and plums, dry them and place them in an oven safe form. Carefully pour the wine with the spices over the fruit and bake in the oven on the middle rail until they are soft and juicy. Depending on the size, this will take about 45 minutes. During the baking process turn the figs around with a spoon several times.
- Once the fruit is ready, pour the sauce back through a sieve into the pan and simmer on medium heat until it has a syrup-like consistency. Allow to cool down a bit.
- For the mascarpone cream, mix all the ingredients and season to taste.
- Serve the fruit on plates, pour over the warm wine sauce. Add a big spoon of the mascarpone cream on each plate and serve quickly.