It’s cold and windy outside. The sky is grey, cloudy and some snowflakes dance through the air. It’s the perfect day for something decadent and pleasant. Something you have to enjoy slowly. Where the preparation already is filled with as much pleasure as the result itself. Therefore the perfect day for this juicy, perfect and incidentally very photogenic caramelized apple cake. Believe me: every Sunday afternoon coffee will turn into something very special!
I don’t even want to try selling you this cake as healthy. Yeah, there’s sugar in it. A lot. But this is necessary (excuses, excuses), because the main focus is on these beautiful apples, permeated with caramel. So the argument that fruits are inside does not really count either. Therefore I will stop collecting arguments and just promise you that this apple cake is one of the best ones you can imagine.
All you need to prepare is an oven-proof pan, where the apples can caramelize slowly and then be baked in the oven. Use slightly sour apples that give the cake some acidity and perfectly complement with the caramel. And if you want to go the extra mile, you can serve a scoop of vanilla ice cream – pure heaven! Alright, let’s start!
caramelized upside down apple cake
Zutaten / Ingredients
- 6-7 medium size apples fairly sour varieties, like Boskop, Granny Smith or Jonagold
- 220 g sugar
- 50 g butter
- 1 large pinch of salt
- 2 cinnamon sticks
For the dough:
- 140 g all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 3 eggs size M-L
- 150 g brown sugar
- 115 g butter soft, on room temperature
- some thyme leaves, icing sugar
Anleitung / Instructions
- Peel the apples, cut them in half and remove the core and stalk with a knife or ball cutter. The apples will shrink a little during the baking process and the pan should be well filled - therefore cut into slightly smaller pieces if needed.
- Place the butter, sugar and cinnamon sticks into an ovenproof pan and allow the sugar to slowly caramelize over medium heat. Stir only, when almost all the sugar is caramelized (takes about 10 minutes) - then add a large pinch of salt.
- When everything is melted, place the apple halves or pieces with the core side upwards into the pan. Reduce the heat slightly and let it simmer on low heat for about 1 hour until the apples are permeated with caramel. Be careful, however, so that they do not overcook!
- Preheat the oven to 175° C top and bottom heat.
- Meanwhile, we prepare the dough: stir the soft butter with the sugar until foamy.
- Add the eggs gradually. Then work in the flour and baking powder until you have a smooth dough.
- Once the apples are ready, spread the dough evenly over the fruits with a tablespoon. Smooth it and bake on the middle rail in the oven for about 25 minutes.
- When the cake is ready, remove from the oven and allow to cool completely. Using a knife, gently loosen the edge of the cake from the pan and remove from the pan.
- Garnish with a few thyme leaves and enjoy!